Been: "September 13".
Me, frantically trying to think of the significance of this date...birthday? anniversary? lunch that I missed?...respond with: "huh?" (yes, I'm eloquent)
Been: "It's the last time you posted...get on it".
So, this is for you Been....
Lots going on in Just Keep Running land - some having to do with running, some not, so let's just do a good old fashioned bullet point post all about October shall we?
- Probably this biggest news lately is that I am currently, and unexpectedly, unemployed. I have had the same job for the last 17 years - but last month, due to some unforseen circumstances, the business shut down and I am now unemployed and looking for work (kinda). It is scary and exciting at the same time. I am trying hard to remind myself of the new opportunities that lie ahead, but I often have to keep myself from COMPLETELY FREAKING OUT! Something will come up though - I've just started looking.
- I said I was going to do a Hood to Coast post (yes, that little race that was in August) and I haven't finished it yet - but I am so excited that I got this email yesterday:
On behalf of everyone at the 32nd annual Hood To Coast Relay, we sincerely congratulate you on your team's acceptance into the sold-out 2013 event! Your team was one of 1,050 accepted from entries postmarked on "Opening Day", with more than one thousand teams unfortunately turned away. The Hood To Coast Relay has filled the team limit for the past 22 years!
I didn't think we would get in (it's getting harder and harder) so I am SUPER excited about getting a spot again for next year! I jumped on a friend's team this year that had an open spot, and while it was very fun to run with them I'm excited to run with my regular team again next year.
- In running news - my foot is holding up very well and I'm working on distance building. Michelle, my running buddy, is training for the Goofy Challenge at Walt Disney World in January so I'm doing the training with her to build my base back up. In January I will start to work on speed again and pick a race to train for myself. I just feel like if I push the speed piece before I get my distance and endurance back up I will be asking for an injury once again. I ran 16 miles last Monday - longest distance to date! Woo hoo!
- I volunteered with my friend Ed at the Portland Marathon in October. We had a beautiful sunny day and a great spot at Mile 23. It's so inspirational to see everyone out there and I love giving back to the sport!
- My kids had their jogathon fundraiser at school. I've said it before, but I LOVE that our school does something that promotes physical fitness as the major fundraiser of the year. My son almost met his goal of running 3 miles in half an hour...
|Go Owen go!|
I've definitely been doing my due dilligence and checking it periodically to make sure it's safe. Yes, yes, I'm such a good mom - safety first, people.
So that's October in a nutshell! Thanks for checking in!