Friday, December 9, 2011

Five for Friday

It's Fridayyyyy!  Here's the Friday five.

1)  My running partner this morning, Roxy.

  Look at that grey!
~This pic is from summer when
it was actually light out in the mornings~
 Roxy is my 11 year old first baby.  She used to be a great running partner for all distances, but any more I can only take her on short outings as she falls behind pretty quickly.  She's a love and awesome with the kiddos.  It's tough to see her get older, but she's doing great for her age.

2)  All I want for Christmas is....ok, this isn't all I want for Christmas, but I'd love a Bondi Band ponytail hat

source
 Keeps the ears warm and your hair out of the way - win win.  Just in case anyone in my family is reading this blog....

3)  I'm signed up for this half marathon in January -
Vancouver Lake Half, January 22, 2012
I'm thinking that I'm going to have to run/walk this thing in order to be smart.  As I said in my last post, I'm really trying not to push too hard too fast, because I don't want this injury prolonged any more than it has to be.  But I'll admit, the competitive side of me is a little torn about it - I've never run/walked a race before.  The last half mary I ran was the Hippie Chick half where I PR'd.  So, this will be interesting.  Luckily, my running buddy is on board to do this with me, and my friend Ed, who is also on the gimp list, will likely be in the same boat and joining us.  At least I'll have company! 

4)  I had some leftover chicken in the fridge last night and was looking for something warm and comforting - so I made this chicken tortilla soup from the Pioneer Woman:

So yummy!
Seriously, so good.

5)  If you get a chance go read this post that Christy at My Dirt Road Anthem wrote about her children/body image/and weight.  Her blog is awesome and this post is so well written.  It's so important to give our kids (and ourselves for that matter!) the message that exercise and good food choices are tools to achieving optimal health and not simply to fit into a pair of skinny jeans or live up to some arbitrary weight ideal.

In our house the issue is a bit flipped in that my son is VERY slight AND a very picky eater.   We are extremely careful in conveying to him the importance of trying a greater variety of foods for health reasons, and not because he's so skinny.  The last thing I want is for him to develop a complex that his body is somehow not ok simply because he is a naturally thin child.  Anyway, check it out, it's a great read.

It's Fitness Friday - head over to the Blog Hop at Fitness, Health and Happiness to connect with other fitness bloggers!
On to the weekend!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

If you were my secret santa I would totally get you a hat like that :)

I love Christy blog and I am totally pointing out that post tomorrow on my blog too!!

EatDrinkBeRunning said...

Thanks for stopping by! Looking forward to following your training for your race! :)

Penny said...

I want one of those hats too!! If Santa doesn't bring me one I'm gonna have to break down and buy myself one.

Rachelle Q said...

That hat is so cool! I've never seen something like it before. I am loving the picture with your dog. So sweet:) I have 2 shar-peis and they don't do distance well. I end up having to tug and pull by mile 2.

Suz and Allan said...

I want one of those hats too! I'm with Penny. Either Santa brings it or I'm buying it.

Courtney said...

Roxy is a sweetheart!! love her!

Jamie said...

Roxy is gorgeous! What a pretty face!

That chicken tortilla soup looks really good, I may have to try it!

jillconyers said...

My next half mary is Jan 1 if the weather cooperates. Love the hat! I've made PW's soup and it was a hit with the family. Off to check out MDRA's post. Sounds like she has written about something that I feel so strongly about particularly with my 1 year old daughter.

XLMIC said...

Awesome hat!

I loved Christy's post. Loved it.

Your dog has the sweetest face :)

Laura said...

That's such a great hat! Good for you for planning a run/walk... it is sooo hard to let the logical side win over our competitive side. :)

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Awww...your dog looks just like my old dog! What a sweetie. I need to find a half to do in January... I am kind of lost right now, since I don't have a race planned. I don't know what to do with myself!

That soup looks delicious. I just made her lasagne and it was sooooo good!

Tink said...

That Bondi Band Hat looks amazing... Now I have ideas, I think I'm going to cut a hole in one of my running ski hats!

Trinity said...

I have a ponytail hat similar to that (Run Like A Girl, I think), and I LOVE it. You need to get one. :)

Amanda@runninghood said...

Loved this. Gosh I need to get here more often. That soup looks delicious and I found a new blog to follow because of it. NOt so sure I have it in me for that many steps...my kitchen would look like a tornado hit it. Seriously. that half marathon sounds fun...and I was cheering for you and didn't know it at the Hippie Chick Last year. :)

Claires Healthy Home said...

Hopped over from Livin' the Fit Life give away. Thanks for your entry. I am diggin' the hat! Have not seen that before..I think I want one. lol Have a great day, Claire

Post a Comment