Wednesday, September 28, 2011

And then reality came crashing in....

Well, my plantar fasciitis seems to have returned.  I was feeling so good and on a high after Hood To Coast that I went a little crazy with optimism....signed up for an October half marathon, committed to a training plan and 30 days of strength training. 

Hmmmm...me thinks I jumped the gun.

My heel had been feeling a bit irritated, but Sunday during my nine miler it began to ache with about 3 miles left, and later that day it was SORE.   I skipped the strength workout that day and took the day off of everything on Monday.  I iced my heel, rolled it on a golf ball and taped it up.  Yesterday's run felt pretty good, and I modified my strength workout so I was doing everything low impact.   I ran this morning, and my heel is sore again.  I am going to have to come up with a new plan.

I think I'm going to have to face some realities.  I'm not going to be able to just jump back into things as if my foot hasn't been/isn't injured. 

Right now my schedule calls for running 4 times a week with daily strength training.  Going forward, I'm going to try this:  switch out my Monday (road) running with a session of pool running.  I'm sure the water aerobics ladies have missed me.  Switch to doing strength workouts 2-3 times a week and not on the days I run.  And do yoga once a week.  I've totally gotten away from yoga and I've been feeling really tight lately, which could also be contributing to my heel hurting.  So...we'll see how that goes. 

Obviously, my big committment to doing the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 workout that I talked about here is going to go by the wayside.  I hate not completing something that I've started, but I'm pretty sure if I tried to do these workouts every day along with running I would end up even more injured and not be able to do anything at all.

Anyway, enough about my stupid foot...

The kids were bored yesterday, so we got out some paint and some rocks from the back yard and did a little Halloween inspired art.  Here's some of what we came up with...

My son said his pumpkin is "grumpy" (on left). 
Oh, and that middle eye on the pumpkin on the right is the "stem", per my daughter.
Owen's skeleton rock:


Do you see the skeleton there?
 He took a skeleton sticker, slapped paint on it and pressed it on the rock.

And Reese's Ghost rock:

BOO!
My neighbor and running buddy M is the biggest Halloweenee (hee!) I have ever met.  She just started a Halloween blog called Happy Haunts - check it out, she's got some great Halloween ideas!

And here's just some sweetness to end this post - Owen read Reese a bedtime story before bed tonight (usually I read to them).  He read a "Wolverine" comic book to her, not the book she would normally ask for, but she was thrilled that her big brother was reading to her.


AWWWW...if only they were always this sweet - I'll take these moments when I can get them! 

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

that picture of your kids reading is so sweet - how wonderful to capture moments like that :o)
i'm sorry about your foot, that is a huge bummer. but it could be worse and you are smart to listen to your body! i am a strong believer in yoga and think it will benefit you a lot. whenever i am doing yoga while training, my running is always stronger and i just FEEL better overall.
have a great day!

Amanda@runninghood said...

You are so creative! Love your painted rocks. And this picture of your kids is so sweet! Hoping your foot is better soon. :( Posting the art stuff soon! Thanks again for participating.

Post a Comment