Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Some randomness - Versatile Blogger Award

Yup, that's me - the Versatile Blogger.  The kick ass XLMIC tagged me for this about a month ago.  If you haven't checked out her site you should - she truly is versatile and real and hilarious.  We bonded over running Hood to Coast - well I don't know if she thinks we bonded, but that's what I like to tell myself to feel like one of the cool kids - and I've been following her ever since. 

Anyway, the rules are to list 7 random things about yourself and then pass the award along to 15 other bloggers to do the same- so here goes...

1) I've mentioned this before on here, but I'm one of 4 sisters.
We were all named "Joseph" until we came out sans penis and then got the girl name my parents had chosen.

2)  We moved into a turn of the century "fixer upper" farm house when I was 5 years old where my parents still live.  By "fixer" I mean only wood heat, no insulation and a hallway for the kitchen.  Oh, and there was no foundation either.  My parents bought it without ever walking through it - they simply looked through the windows and made up their minds to go for it.


 It's been a labor of love, and is still in a continual state of remodel - but it was the site of an awesome childhood and I love it.

3)  When I was in first grade I was the Virgin Mary in our elementary school Christmas play.  Apparently the seperation of church and state didn't apply in small town Oregon.  This was back when we were allowed to have Christmas plays instead of "winter celebrations".  We also had free hot lunches provided by the ladies from the church down the road.   Oh the times,  they have changed...

4)  I'm super creative.  As a kid when I'd get a doll I would name it whatever it said on the box. Therefore, my two most beloved dolls from childhood were named  "Tender Love" and "Baby Alive". 
When I was 9, I had surgery and my friend bought me this doll as a gift.
It wet the bed and the nurses blamed me.  I was mortified.
Yes, the creativity is astounding.  No wonder I follow training plans to a T and am a book-keeper by trade.

5)  I graduated from the University of Arizona with a degree in History.  I really loved college and I have great memories from my time in Tucson.

Going to the UA is also the only thing I will ever have in common with EMZ, because I definitely don't have her abs or speed!

6)  I'm pretty sure I know every line (and every song) from these movies:
and
I still can't believe they remade Footloose....nothing is sacred...

7)  In the 90's my sister was a fairly successful high fashion/runway model.


My sis Debbie - isn't she purdy?
Anyway, she did a shoot at my parent's house for the German version of Marie Claire magazine.  My sister Diane and I were there and they put us in the shoot as well.  We were supposed to be the country bumpkin sisters in awe of our big supermodel sister (that was the "story" for the shoot).  What I mostly remember is that they were so annoyed at us for laughing so much and I HATED the way they did my hair.  Anyway the magazine came out sometime in 1995...the pix were so ridiculous, like this one...

Just chillin in a tree in our dresses...

So yeah, in Germany, in the mid 90's, I was totally like a supermodel....now THAT's random, right?

ok so now to tag others - these are people whose blogs I've just found and I'd love to know more about you all! So, here we go:
1) Courtney at  A So-Called Runner
2) Beth at Yes Folks, I Run Like a Girl
3) Jill at Fitness Health and Happiness
4) Lisa at Because I Can
5) Tink at The Running Paintbrush
6)  Meredith at Therapeutic Runnings of a Mom
7) Aimee at Chronicles of a Dime
8) Carrie at Family Fitness Food
9) Hiker Mom at Livin the Fit Life
10) Kat at All of a Sudden Life is Amazing
11) Nancy at Living the Dream
12) Christy at My Dirt Road Anthem
13) Jessica at Pace of Me
14) Jessica at Running to Be Skinny
15) Marissa at Lets Move it Momma's

Leave me a note in the comments if you're going to play along and list your 7 random things - thanks!

9 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

This is GREAT! Loved it. Made me laugh...that last picture...just chillin' in a tree in your dresses. ha ha. And the BAby Alive part. So funny. Gosh, this was great. Thanks for sharing.

a runner said...

You look sort of like Winona Ryder in that picture. I mean that as a compliment :) And dude... we are sooo bonded. I am so glad we follow each other :)

Thanks so much for playing the game!

jillconyers said...

I loved my Baby Alive and guess what I named her. Fabulously creative, Baby Alive. I'm pretty sure I know all of the lines in Grease too :)

I will post my 7 things and tag this morning or at the latest this evening when get home from work.

Fun!

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

K, well I pretty much did it today. :) Also, I think your childhood home sounds awesome and yeah...times have changed. I have never seen Grease btw, I have something against it. It's kind of like the Twilight series to me, maybe I'm just a rebel and can't go with the flow...that's probably it. :) Jess

runningtobeskinny.com

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Thanks for the tag! This was fun to read and learn more about you! Love the baby names! Love the old farmhouse, my sister has one of those, continuous work in progress. My daughter named her baby alive Dancing Baby

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

So awesome! We have a lot in common:
- I am one of 4 girls, too! I have two older sisters and one younger sister, no brothers.
- I went UA! Just for my freshman year though, then I transferred to UVA. I was in Tucson in 1994-1995. I was in the architecture program :)
- I love Grease and Footloose. I have memories of roller skating around my unfinished basement basement to the 8-track of Grease and will never forget the first time I saw Footloose. I felt so grown up.

Oh and I love love love the house you grew up in. I love old homes and dream of having one like that some day :)

Thanks for tagging me! I just did 21 random things but I will try to think of 7 more! Good thing I am a random person!! Hehe.

Unknown said...

Thanks for tagging me! Love it.

I love your childhood home - gorgeous. Love Grease and Footloose too, couldn't bring myself to see the remake.

With my daughter, we never named dolls until she was old enough to remember the names herself, I just couldn't be relied upon to remember names of inanimate objects. :-)

Rachelle Q said...

Thanks Kathy! I'm in. Now I have to think of 7 random things. Hmmm. Anyways, I so miss the days of Christmas concerts at school. Now they have recycling concerts in December :( It just seems wrong. Have a great day!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Those things ARE pretty random! I love that old house of your parents. What a great spot. I know the old ones can be a pain in the butt, but I am glad that people like your parents exist, and they fix it up rather than tear it down and build a McMansion! Hurray for them.

And your baby naming skills are great. I used to name my cats like that. We had Whiskers, Spot, Brownie, Blackie and Snowball.

Post a Comment